January 19, 2011

Cortisone Shot or Tommy John Surgery?

Where to even begin... I would have considered myself a very lucky/healthy person when it came to sports related injuries (minus a shoulder setback and a broken arm) but nothing I couldn't play through until a little over 9 months ago in a game against Clemson. We were up by 3 runs heading into the top of the 6th and our starter was beginning to show signs of fatigue. I started to get loose in the bullpen but it was taking a while longer than usual (my thinking--> it was just one of those days) and I figured I would be ready by the time I got in the game. Coach gave me the nod for the 7th and although a little wild at the beginning I finally settled in after surrendering a run. I went back out for the 8th and right before I released my first warmup pitch I felt a sharp pain almost as though someone jabbed a knife into my elbow and twisted it.
 My arm went numb from the elbow down so I took a deep breathe and got back on the mound. I finished my warmup pitches and threw four straight balls not even close to the zone. Needless to say I was pulled from the game but I knew it was something worse than a bad outing.  The pain was excruciating and I lost the feeling in my ring and pinkie finger because of the inflammation on my nerve.  A couple weeks later my MRI results came back showing that I had a torn ulnar collateral ligament. At this point of my senior season we had less than 20 games left and with a cortisone shot I would have to sit out at least 10 games and there was no guarantee that it would allow me to throw at all. I also had the choice to redshirt and do physical therapy for three months or have Tommy John Surgery. The physical therapy sounded better than surgery but there was also no guarantee that it would help at all. I decided to have surgery and 8 months post-op I am throwing off the mound. I feel like I made the right decision but with only a month left before the season begins only time will tell if I made the right decision.
If you're deciding between getting a cortisone shot or having surgery I think you have to weigh your options.  The first couple weeks after surgery is painful and the physical therapy is every day for as long as you're playing.  Some guys elect to do the three months of rehab rather than get the surgery but there is a risk of tearing it even more or the rehab not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment