April 12, 2011

Josh Hamilton Out 6-8 Weeks



From-- ESPN
"It was just a stupid play," Hamilton said. "I definitely shouldn't have done it."
Inge caught the ball and tossed it Martinez, who was racing home, and the catcher was able to tag out Hamilton as made a headfirst dive.
"I listened to my third-base coach," Hamilton said. "That's a little too aggressive. The whole time I was watching the play I was listening. [He said] 'Nobody's at home, nobody's at home.' I was like, 'Dude, I don't want to do this. Something's going to happen.' But I listened to my coach. And how do you avoid a tag the best? By going in headfirst and get out of the way and get in there. That's what I did."
Talk about throwing your coach under the bus.  Yes, it was a stupid play but you don't have to go just because your coach tells you no one is covering.  The play is in front of you.  It's not like they're going to take Hamilton out of the lineup if you don't go.  The team is built around you.  


I can understand what his thought process was during this though.  Last year he missed the month of September because he broke his ribs and he missed almost half of the '07 and 09' season due to injury.  You're taught not to slide in head first to home but he most likely slid head first because he's had knee problems in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment