May 11, 2011

Artie's Thoughts on Twitter


Twitter is something I hoped would die a quick death. I was actually praying that it would go the Myspace route. I saw it as nothing more than a new place for glorified Facebook status updates. I can't believe that squid Zuckerberg didn't come up with it first, prolly couldn't find the guys in time to steal it from them. Sure there will be people out there who will say "But Artie, I love knowing what my favorite celebrities are doing this instant." My response? Do you really, really want to know that Ashton Kutcher just took a dump that is the same size as a can of Dr. Pepper? Is your life going to be any different if you didn't just happen to see that Kim Kardashian "Just had a photo shoot, went super great <@:)!!!" I soon came to realize though, Twitter isn't going anywhere.


I think it's safe to compare Twitter to blogging. Blogging gave people an outlet for their thoughts, feelings, and anything else on their twisted minds. I'm sure there were people out there who didn't feel the need to read about the daily musings of some guy living in the real world who can't let the college dream die just yet.....


Once people started to pay attention to and even try blogging, it caught on like a wildfire. All it takes is 5 minutes and some creativity (or lack thereof) and presto changeo, you go from a 23 year old in your parents' basement to a 23 year old in your parents' basement with a voice. So too, unfortunately for us, has Twitter.

Now everyone and their mother has gotten into tweeting, or twatting as I like to call it. Btw I literally know some mothers that are on Twitter. Some of my own friends tweet, some more frequently than others, but they are not the ones I'm talking about. If I ever heard the Redneck Yankee talking about how he's following Christina Aguilera because she has intelligent things to say or eye opening political views, I'd prolly defriend him, only in real life though, I need all the Facebook friends I can get. My friends use Twitter for what it should be intended for: sports news.

Let me be clear, I am not against any outlet where people feel comfortable throwing their thoughts out there. I think that people should be able to say whatever they want whenever they want. Which is why I think Twitter, although terrible for social lives, is revolutionary in the sports and sports reporting world. Where else can you get a direct line into what a player or coach is thinking, or instant reports on trades and rumors from "inside sources". I also think that Twitter is a great place to vent frustration and get public recognition. Sure this is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but an athlete should feel comfortable speaking their mind without fear of retribution. A player shouldn't be fined or suspended for stating the obvious, expressing disappointment or anger, and displaying happiness. We get it MLB, Bud Selig still uses a typewriter, but that doesn't give you the right to quiet someone down. We know they are role models, but unless they are swearing or using slurs, the major sports leagues should back off....or you could always go the other route and say someone hacked your Twitter, either way works.

No comments:

Post a Comment