February 24, 2011

Ham's Take on Tebow




I have to admit I was on the bandwagon for disliking Tim Tebow.  I loved his post game speech after the loss to Ole Miss.  However, that was the extent of my like for him.  I mean everywhere you looked there he was doing something great.  But I think a lot of my dislike for him came from the media.  I don't think there's anything more I hate than the media.  I won't say I hate all media but for the most part they deserved to be punched for the questions they ask.  They want reactions from players because that's their job--get people to watch.  Who wouldn't want to watch a player or coach lose it (Lou Piniella is a favorite).  I could go on and on about the media but that's not what this post is about.  After watching ESPN's documentary on Tebow I don't dislike him anymore and I have respect for the guy.  
He changed his arm action to quiet doubters.  The workouts that he does in the film are unbelievable-- pushing a parked truck, stopping a moving truck, flipping tires, etc.  I tried to just ignore him in college but because of the media attention it was literally impossible.  When I wasn't watching ESPN he would still find me in a commercial.  Everyone has doubted him his whole career and it drives him to prove them wrong.  The guy finished a game in high school with a broken leg... Are you serious?  I think the Broncos got a steal with taking him as the 25th pick.  There are guys that are hyped up because they ran a great 40 or shuttle but that's not what wins game.  Think about how many busts there have been (Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr).  All these guys were similar to Tebow in the fact they were winners in college and obviously that doesn't translate to wins in the NFL.  I know all that matters is what happens when the ball is snapped but you can't teach his work ethic, desire, or heart he has.  All I'm saying is you know he's going to put every last effort into his career and I would want him on my team.  You can say all you want about Tebow and how he's not going to be successful in the NFL but I wouldn't bet against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment