February 16, 2011

Will the Cardinals sign Pujols?


Yes, I know in my previous post I talked about beating a dead horse with the whole Pujols contract situation but I grew up a Cardinals fan and I need to blow off some steam. With the "deadline" to sign Pujols passing it makes any Cardinal fan, like myself, cringe.  Pujols has been underpaid since the day he stepped into Busch Stadium and it makes everyone scratch their head as to why the Cardinals can't come to an agreement with the best player in baseball, possibly one of the greatest of all-time. The Phillies gave Howard $25 million/year and the Yankees gave Teixeira $22.5 million/year which has to make Pujols at least a $30 million guy.
I don't blame Pujols' side for saying that the proposed 8 year/$200 million was not even in the ballpark because it shouldn't be. Looking from the Cardinals side they are most likely thinking that the only organizations (Boston and New York) that can pay the type of deal that he is looking for have first base locked up for the next few years and they could possibly get him for a cheaper deal.  He puts people in the seats and if you go to a game in St. Louis 90% of the people are wearing his jersey.  I think to say that another team (Chicago, LA) won't pay up that type of money would be ludicrous.  He was the only reason they were in the playoff race towards the end of the season.  Some people are saying he had his worst year last year. The guy went .312/42/118... Are you kidding me? In the post-steroid era, any other player that has that type of year wins the MVP. But we expect at least .330/45/130 from him year after year.  It makes me sick to think they might not sign him and question whether the Cardinals will be my team after the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment