March 1, 2011

Buzzkill: Cell Phones


Cell phones basically run our lives.  How did people used to live without them?  When traveling did you have to carry around a personal phonebook because who remembers telephone numbers off the top of their head?  Did people really have to stop to use a pay phone? But the buzzkill I'm talking about here is when your cell phone breaks.  First, you check to see if you are eligible for an upgrade.  Why pay for a new screen when you could just get a new phone?  But you're never eligible because no one goes over 2 years without breaking a cell phone.  It's simply impossible.  You feel cut off from the world and until your phone is fixed your day can't get any worse.  But then after it's fixed you realize you just had to spend a minimum of $100 to fix it.  The Iphone has to be the best cell phone on the market minus one major setback-- the screen.  I'm almost positive it's programmed to shatter when it's dropped.  I've had the 3G and the 3GS for the past three years and I broke the screen for the 3rd time today and unfortunately gave me the inspiration to write this post.  My three broken screens is the least of my friends that have the Iphone.  Every time my phone drops I cringe before picking it up.  Steve Jobs might be the greatest inventor of our lifetime yet he can't perfect a simple screen flaw.  Using another material other than glass might be a great place to start. Anyway, I'll still pay the $100 to fix the screen because it's still the best phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment