March 18, 2011

A Glimpse at the Real World: Post St Patrick's Day

Being that I am the only member of the team that is in the real world, I feel like I'm the best one to give you a little taste from time to time of what to expect. Let me start by saying this: going out during the week starts to dwindle from the levels in College. I remember when going out Tuesday - Thursday was just as important as Friday and Saturday. I mean College night was on Tuesday, trivia on Wednesday, and I mean everyone who's anyone went out Thursday. I think I looked more forward to Thursday than any other day. Then G-Day came, and the dream was over (at least for me). Sure we tried to hang on to the occasional Thursday Night Throwdown, but let me tell you this, nothing is a bigger wet blanket than having to be up at 6am for work. Not class, not lift, not even brunch with your Grandma could keep you from going out in college. But the thought of having to wake up, put on nice clothes, and stumble into work the next morning only to sit at your desk all day, and I mean all day, and just stare at your computer hoping you don't throw up, pass out, or both could make even Paris Hilton take the night off.



Now don't get me wrong, there are some people who try to hold on to the dream as long as possible. But just know that burning the candle at both ends is very apparent after a few days of 2am bedtimes + 6am wake ups. I could look around my old office and spot the people who had been out the night before by a few things: 1. Generally don't talk much for at least 2 hours (most likely to avoid conversation leading to someone realizing they are still drunk/hungover) 2. Clothes are wrinkled (Hit the snooze button a few extra times that morning and in turn not even caring to iron their clothes) 3. Smell (Trust me, hot day/hot office + 4 Hours of sleep x Still drunk = Booze Skin)



BUT

Every few months there comes that one heroic night, the night that it is acceptable to channel the glory days. We just saw such a full moon: St Patrick's day. Now in college there was Dartying and grilling. In the real world, you take the day off/get out early and get to a bar as soon as possible. I myself have the fortune of working from home, so I was able to get to a watering hole relatively early, but even I wasn't expecting the level of involvement that these people already had underway. I'm talking guys in suits with pitchers of green beer and girls in dress pants and blouses doing Irish Car Bombs. Bosses and Employees taking shots together, while Human Resources and the office Sex Harasser sing karaoke versions of "Shipping up to Boston" hand in hand. Everyone will feel awful the next day,the office will be silent until lunch, coffee will be flowing, but for that one night every few months, it is well worth showing up to work in the same clothes as the day before....just keep a spare tie at your desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment